How can I resolve a failure to appear from another state?

UPDATED: May 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I resolve a failure to appear from another state?

I am ordered to attend a DVC course from a CA court. I was requested verbally to appear before the judge. I explained to the public defender the impossibility of my requested appearance; she said the judge would not care. I have absolutely no means to appear.

Asked on May 26, 2011 under Criminal Law, Arizona


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am unsure why you would have no means to appear but if you really cannot drive or fly to California from Arizona, you might see if you can make a telephonic appearance. Talk to another public defender and see if this is even possible in a criminal court forum (probably not but worth a shot). If this is a matter of you possibly getting a bench warrant for failure to appear, figure out a way for your attorney to either continue the matter until you can get there or see if there is a way for you to appear somehow in Arizona. If none of these work, try a "deposition" of your testimony or position on the record under oath.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption