How can I rent in a new state without having a job yet?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I rent in a new state without having a job yet?

I’m looking to relocate but have found out most places require me to be working

in the new state first.

Asked on July 24, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, landlords are allowed to refuse to rent to somone who does not have a job and therefore does not have any visible way of paying rent. The ways to get around this usually are:
1) Offer to prepay several (i.e. 3- 6) months of rent (assuming you have the money to do this): having received rent in advance will protect the landlord against the risk of renting to someone withou a job, then having them fail to pay rent.
2) Get a co-signor who has a job; having someone with a job on the lease who essentially guarantees paymnent reduces the risk to the landlord.
3) Get roommates with jobs to rent with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption