How can I remove my ex-wife from my house deed if she is not on the mortgage?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I remove my ex-wife from my house deed if she is not on the mortgage?

When we got divorced the only thing she claim was the car but nothing was said about the house. Does she looses her rights to the house since she is not on the mortgage?

Asked on August 30, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness.  Did you use an attorney to get divorced? I fear not and you need to see one now.  You can not "remove" her from the deed without her consent and she does not lose any rights to the house because she is not on the mortgage.  In fact, she sits in a pretty good position here in that she has no financial obligation what so ever - so she has nothing to lose if the house is in good shape financially - but she has everything to gain on a sale.  She owns half.  Please get legal help to sort this out.  If you two can not agree then you are going to have to open up the divorce proceeding for the limited purpose of distributing this asset.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption