How can I remove my name from a vehicle title?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I remove my name from a vehicle title?

I currently have a vehicle owned with another party. The title has my name or the other party. I made payment for the last 4 years. The other party has had possession of the vehicle and has made the payments for the last 4 months. I have requested that the other party refinance to remove my name from the title which was refused. I would like to regain possession and sell the vehicle, since they are unwilling to do so. What would my legal options be?

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written agreement for the sale of this vehicle to a third party, you need to carefully review it in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the buyer and vice versa in the absence of conflicitng state law.

If your agreement has no provision for a refinance of the vehicle's loan then you cannot force the buyer to refinace the loan on it. Likewise, if the buyer is current on the payments with the vehicle, you cannot take possession of it. If you want to take your name of its legal title, you need to go down to your local department of motor vehicles and change the registration of the vehicle out of your name.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption