How can I remove an ex-girlfriend from the deed if she won’t willingly sign off?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I remove an ex-girlfriend from the deed if she won’t willingly sign off?

My ex-girlfriend and I purchased a house. I am the only one on the mortgage and she has since moved out. She did put down part of the down payment ($4600) when we moved about 1 1/2 years ago. She does not live there and no longer contributes to the home in any way. How can I remove her from the deed if she won’t willingly sign off?

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Seek legal help here.  You gave her a great upper hand in all of this.  You have to consider ether buying her out in someway or seeking an action for partition (which asks the court to split the house in two which results in its sale and the proceeds split) and suing her for the monthly maintenance and upkeep on the house or what ever other fees (such as taxes) that she is supposed to pay as a home owner.  That is your bargaining chip.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption