How can I remove an unwanted house guest from a vacation home jointly owned by me and my husband?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I remove an unwanted house guest from a vacation home jointly owned by me and my husband?

My husband has ensconced an unwanted house guest at our vacation home in
North Carolina without my knowledge or consent. We are co-owners of the
property. How can I have her removed?

Asked on September 4, 2016 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't remove the guest against your husband's will, just as he could not remove a guest you ensonced in the home against your will: either of the joint owners has equal and complete rights to use and possess the home, including having guests there; neither owner may exclude the other or the other's guests. As long as your husband gives his guest permission to remain there, the guest may.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption