How can I remove a lease repossession from my credit report?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I remove a lease repossession from my credit report?

My ex-wife kept our car and lease as part of the divorce agreement. She turned it in late, and it is showing up on my credit report as a repossession. I did not have control of the vehicle, nor did I reside at the address of the vehicle, when the lease ended. The creditor is refusing to provide any assistance.

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and get the repossession of the vehicle removed from your credit report is to consult with an attorney experienced in the area of consumer law to discuss your options and the best way to try and rectify the situation that you are in.

My experience is that although a credit reporting agency will not ordinarily remove the remark about the repossession of the vehicle from your history, it will allow a letter of explanation to be submitted by you and referenced in your report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption