How can I recant my statement

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I recant my statement

police and the state is charging him
with burguraly and domestic assault.
Before the police officer left he only
informed me of the domestic assault
charge. I did not want him to be
charged with this.

Asked on February 16, 2018 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

First of all, It is up to the DA and not the alleged victim, as to whether or not to drop charges. If there is other evidence sufficient enough to support a conviction, then even without your testimony the case can still move forward. Further, it is very common in domestic violence cases that victims frequently recant their statements. However, typically whenever the victim takes the stand and attempts to dispute that any violence actualy occurred, the prosecutor can introduce conflicting evidence, namely the victim's own previous statements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption