how can i prove my innocence in a urinating in public charge?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how can i prove my innocence in a urinating in public charge?

i was arrested in a urinal and charged with urinating in public. how can i prove that i was not urinating outside like the officer accused me of. also no rights were read to me nor was a sobriety test performed.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Kansas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If the police didn't question you, other than to get identification, while you were in custody, there was no need to read you your rights.  And if you weren't charged with anything that includes intoxication as part of the offense, the sobriety test is irrelevant.

You have the right to go to trial, and to have a lawyer cross-examine the police officer when he testifies against you.  You can try cross-examining the police officer yourself, but it's not likely to go well, since the officer has a lot more in-court experience than you do, and you don't know the rules.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption