How can I protect my assets in case my son who lives at home is involved in a car accident?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I protect my assets in case my son who lives at home is involved in a car accident?

My 25 year old son lives with me. He works part-time and attends graduate school part-time. How can I protect my assets in case he is involved in a car

accident? I have not only car insurance but an umbrella policy. I was thinking of a Trust?

Asked on March 8, 2016 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A trust isn't really a good option here, because to provide protection, it would have to be an irrevocable (can't take it back or change it) trust which you personally do not control--if you control the trust or can revoke it, a court will basically conclude the trust is just a pretense and the assets and still yours, and so there is no protection. So to get protection, you would have to give up ownership and control of your assets, which is, to say the least, very extreme and subjects you to significant risks (e.g. what if the trustee does something you disagree with, with your belongings or assets)?
Really, the best way to protect yourself is by maintaining adequate or even "excessive" levels of insurance (car and umbrella) and making sure that your son is listed as an authorized driver (if he uses your car), so there is no grounds to deny claims involving him.
And/or let him get his own car and provide his own insurnace and do NOT let him drive your car, EVER. If he has his own car (registered, titled, insured, etc.) in his own name, you will not be liable for his accidents even if he lives at home: one adult is not liable for another adult's, even a child's, car accidents unless the first adult provided the second's car. But if you do this, it MUST be his car, paid for by him, with no connection to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption