How can I pay off a bad check that went to the worthless check program with out taking the class and paying the extra fee?

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I pay off a bad check that went to the worthless check program with out taking the class and paying the extra fee?

I had a check bounce at a grocery store. It was a mistake on my part. I intend to pay; I moved out of state for a job and forgot all about the bounced check.I just received a letter from the bad check restitution program wanting me to pay $450; the check was for $211. I can’t afford the $450 and I can’t get back to take this class they want me to take. I just want to make good on the check and send them a money order.

Asked on October 24, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to resolve the issue on the bad check is to send a check for the amount that failed to negotiate to the grocery store with a written agreement for the manager to date, sign and return to you in a self addressed stamped envelope.

The agreement should state that the payment of the check sent with the letter is payment in full. Make sure you reference the new check's number and its date. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference.

The manager may or may not accept the check or sign the agreement and return it to you. However, it is worth a shot. If you get the signed agreement from the grocery store, then you deal with the bad check restitution program advising it that the dispute has been resolved sending a copy of the written agreement hopefully signed by the manager of the grocery store.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption