How can I obtain my deceased father’s school records for purposes of obtaining citizenship by descent?

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I obtain my deceased father’s school records for purposes of obtaining citizenship by descent?

The school says they have the records but cannot legally provide them without a court order, as they need my father’s permission. I think I would need a subpoena, is this correct? How does this work if I don’t live in the US?

Asked on April 23, 2012 under Immigration Law, New York


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Are school records the only way you can prove that your father resided in the US during the period in question?  You are probably not going to be able to get a court order unless you involve an attorney and get that going but you have to show reasons for this and probably that there is no other way for you to establish your father's residence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption