How can I make my ex-wife finish buying our our house after divorce?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I make my ex-wife finish buying our our house after divorce?

My wife and I bought a house 5 years ago. We divorced 2 years later. We continued joint ownership until last year when I decided to move and she wanted the house. We decided that she would procure a mortgage for the balance on my mortgage and pay me $5,000 for my interest in the house. She did pay me the $5,000 but has never come gotten a mortgage and completed the transaction. How can I make this happen?

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

And all this was part of your settlement agreement submitted to court and made a part of your divorce decree?  I ask becuase then you can make a motion to compel her to do what was agreed or for contempt of the court order if you are not past the statute of limitations on the matter.  You need to have an alternative "plan" in that if she can not refinaince do you want to ask the court to allow you to sell?  Then you have to waive the splitting of the proceeds as you already got your money.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption