How can I legally retrieve my vehicle and camper from someone else’s property?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I legally retrieve my vehicle and camper from someone else’s property?

I was living at a friend of mine and he passed away. My vehicle and my camper still remain on the

property. His family will not allow me to get my belongings. The vehicle is locked inside of a gate but the camper is not. What do I need to do? Can I legally sell the items and they retrieve the property?

Asked on July 21, 2017 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have to sue them for the campler and belongings. You cannot trespass on their land (doing so is a crimingal act), and if they believe (even if wrongly) that the items may have belonged to him (and so now that he has passed, to them), if you remove anything, they may call the police on you and report this as theft.
What you do is sue them for the current value of what is on their property. If you can prove in court by a "preponderance of the evidence," or that it is "more likely than not," that those things are yours, the court can give you a judgment for their value and/or order them to be returned (and if the court does issue an order for their return, law enforcement will enforce it if necessary).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption