how can I leagally keep money away from my addict wife.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how can I leagally keep money away from my addict wife.

We have been married for 15 years and for the last 6 she has been on oxycodone. At first it was prescribed, then it was not. My car was just repossessed and we are on the verge of losing everything. I have decent Job making a low 6 figure income but I work in sales so it is not consistent all of the time. I have finally come to a head where I am no longer going to enable her addiction. We have 3 kids and it is time to put them first. I had to open a new account with just me on it for my direct deposit. I am in an enormous amount of debt and currently have no assets. I need some direction here. I am trying to save the house I live in and what is left of a semi-normal life.

Asked on September 29, 2018 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As long as she is your wife, there is no way to 100% keep her from your assets, or keep her from incurring some charges you will be liable for, or keep her and her drug addiction from your children. If she has been an addict for 6 years, is ruining your family financially, and you are concerned about your children's well-being, you need to look to divorcing her: a divorce will legally separate you from her--while you will likely need to pay her some amount of support per month, it will be fixed amount, and if she spends more than that, it will be her problem, not yours. And if she is an addict, you can very likely get custody of the children--she's have contact with them, but it will regulated, which is likely good for them. It's time to meet with a family law attorney to discuss this option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption