How can I keep my child’s grandparents out of her life?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I keep my child’s grandparents out of her life?

My daughter’s father has just started seeing her and his parents are trying to force him to take all rights away from me and have also decided to take her and keep her from me entirely. And my child’s father lives with them and they will not let me see my daughter even when her father is at work or at school. Is there any way that I can keep my daughter away from her father’s parents so they have nothing to do with my child?

Asked on September 5, 2011 under Family Law, Maine


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your situation.  I am going to give you the general rule regarding the rights of grandparents in the state of Maine but you should check with an attorney in your area on what your rights are here. Now, the state of Maine does indeed recognize the rights of grandparents.  However, the rights of grandparents can not go over and above the rights of the parents.  You have a unique situation here where the father lives with the grandparents and they have formed an army to overtake you.  Your child's father has the same rights to her as you do. But the grandparents must meet several legal tests to obtain rights on their own.  Being that they live with the father they may not need to establish them.  But if they are trying to interfere with YOUR parental rights - and it seems that they are - you may be able to obtain an order barring them from contact.  That would make it impossible for the father to take the child to his home or any family even they are present for. So seek legal help here and discuss really how far you wish to pursue this.  Take care of yourself and your daughter first.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption