How can I go about trying to locate this landlord so I can get my security deposit back?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I go about trying to locate this landlord so I can get my security deposit back?

I rented a shared property with the owner; he gave me access to the entire place. I gave a security deposit and rent, paid bi-weekly, moved out 2 months ago. However I can’t locate the landlord to retrieve the security. He promised he would pay the money but it would take 2 months to give it back, because that is how long I took to pay him (his quote). Will I need to hire an attorney?

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states, a landlord is required to return a former tenant's security deposit within a certain time period after he or she moves out (21 to 45 days) and if the full amount is not returned in that time period, the landlord must set forth an itemization of the amount deducted and provide written receipts and invoices showing the deduction.

It seems that 60 days for the return of your security deposit is not acceptable.

I suggest that you write the landlord at his last known address seeking the return of your security deposit by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference. If not received within the stated time period, your option is small claims for its return. In small claims court you do not need an attorney.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption