How can I get the appraisal amount from 2008 when a deed was transferred?

UPDATED: May 1, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 1, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get the appraisal amount from 2008 when a deed was transferred?

Inherited property in 2008 lost
appraisal for cost basis.

Asked on May 1, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you lost the appraisal, you will likely have to get a new appraisal done for this purpose: an experienced, professional appraiser should be able to determine what the house was worth 11 years ago by adjusting its current value "backwards" to take out the increase or gains in the real estate market since then. Example: if your local market as increased by (as can be determined), say, 3% compounded per year for the least 11 years, then houses have increased in price 38% since then. That means that a house worth $X today was worth $X/1.38 (or its current price divided by 1.38) 11 years ago. Knowing the current value and knowing what has happened in the market, an experienced appraiser can determine with a high degree of confidence what the price had been earlier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption