How can I get rid of a piece of property that has very little value?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get rid of a piece of property that has very little value?

My deceased fathers estate is on the deed. My brother and I are the only heirs.
We would have to file affidavit of heir-ship to change the deed. All of this
could cost more than it is worth. I have been paying the taxes on it for years,
but don’t want the hassle of dealing with the small propertywhich is about 5
hours away from me. Could I be sued by the county if I stop paying the taxes?
And if by stopping the payments will the property default to the county at some

Asked on April 8, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) If you are not on the deed, you have no obligation to pay taxes on it and will face no liability for not paying them. Only those on the deed (e.g. the estate, which is NOT the same as the heirs) are liable for taxes.
2) The county could seize the property for nonpayment of taxes at some point, but is not required to; they could leave it as part of the estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption