How can I get my sister to file my father’s Will?

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get my sister to file my father’s Will?

He passed 7 months ago and she will not respond to inquiries made by my sisters and myself. In the meantime, we feel she is spending our inheritance as she has not had a job in almost 2 years.

Asked on July 10, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You do not have to wait for your sister. You can start a probate proceding and ask the court to name you as the estate's personal representative (because your sister is refusing to act). You should talk to a local probate attorney. It sounds like your sister is in possession of at least some of your father's assets, and a lawyer can help you collect these assets. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption