How can I get my name off this mortgage?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get my name off this mortgage?

About 5 years ago I sold my portion of a property to the friend I co-signed the mortgage with. He never refinanced or sold the place so my name is still on the mortgage. He has been paying on time but I still want to sever my last tie to the place so my credit report won’t show this monthly liability(even though he pays it all). I checked with the county auditor and he did file the sale of my half off the property so he is the only name of the title but I’m still stuck on the mortgage.

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you have no benefit in this situation and only liability.  Did you have an agreement or some thing in the sale that said that he would refinance with in a certain time frame?  Then you may have to sue him to force him to refinance and bring that contract of sale to an attorney to review with that in mind.  He may not be able to refinance in these hard times.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption