How can I get my money back/shut down a non-licensed print stand?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get my money back/shut down a non-licensed print stand?

I bought a 30 Atlanta United sweatshirt and I didnt realize until I got home how fake it looked. The shirt is clearly not legally printed and since it’s a huge logo I’m sure they could get in major trouble. How can I get my money back and stop them from selling to others? They are a small vendor in a mall. Also, could I get in trouble for buying it even though I didn’t know at the time?

Asked on December 3, 2018 under Business Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) The only way you could get your money back is by suing them, unfortunately--that's the only way to recover money from another person if they will not voluntarily refund it to you.  It is not likely cost effective to sue for this
2) It's also not clear you could win a lawsuit--not being satisfied with a purchase is not a good reason to get your money back, and if they violated someone's trademark rights, that's not your problem or grounds to sue--it's for the rights holder.
3) You could inform the rights holder of what was done if you wish; the rights holder can then decide to take action if they want.
4) You are not in trouble for buying the shirt: you are not the one who created or sold it, violating trademark rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption