How can I get my ex girlfriend of over 10 years out of my house

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get my ex girlfriend of over 10 years out of my house

Not married Live in Anderson Indiana, relationship is bad

Asked on March 26, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If she is not an owner, then after so long a time she is either a tenant (if she has paid any form of "rent" such a helping with mortgage or utility payments or even buying groceries) or a "licensee" (that is a non-tenant who was invited to come and stay at the premises with the permision of the owner). In either case, if she will not voluntarily leave your residence, then you will have to file for an "unlawful detainer" action (i.e. eviction) in court. The process for doing this is very specific so while you can attempt this yourself you may want to consult directly with a real estate attorney who specializes in such cases. In no event attempt any self-help measures such as removing her belongings or changing the locks. If you do, you could find yourself facing a lawsuit for illegal eviction. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption