How can I get my escrow funds returned if I cancelled the purchasecontract during the inspection period?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get my escrow funds returned if I cancelled the purchasecontract during the inspection period?

I was the buyer in a FL real estate contract using FARBAR forms. I cancelled the contract during the inspection period per the contract terms. The broker/realtor (who represented both parties) promptly facilitated the execution of the “release and cancellation of contract” which included the “disbursement of escrow funds” clause. He gave this to the seller’s law firm (who has the escrow), and said I would receive the money shortly. After 10 days he was surprised I had not received my funds and said he would follow up. It’s now day 15, I have not heard back and he will not return my calls.

Asked on September 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good evening and thank you for posting to our site. I hope to point you in the right direction. Let me begin by saying I am sorry you are having these problems. I would suggest if you have an attorney who is handling your purchase have them deal directly with the sellers attorney to handle this matter. If you have not yet hired an attorney I would suggest doing so. At this point if no one will respond to you and you have not gotten the deposit back the best step is going to be to have an attorney contact them to show you will not be taken advantage of if that is their intention. And as you will need an attorney for the closing as well it will be a good time to get this handled. Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption