How can I get money owed to me from a personal business?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get money owed to me from a personal business?

It’s been a month now and I still haven’t been paid for the hours that I worked. I was fired, well let go, and my boss won’t pay me the amount I’m due. He tells me that he doesn’t have it but that when he does get money I will get what I’m owed, over $3000. I think that he is trying to get over on me. It was under the table pay but I have witnesses who can say I was there and did the job so he can’t say I disnn’t work for him and get me that way

Asked on October 2, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You sue: that's how you get money from someone who owes you and will not pay. If you worked for an LLC or corporation, you sue the business; if the employer was not an LLC or corporation but a sole proprietorship (just a person, the boss, "d/b/a" as a business) you sue the owner personally. To win, you just have to convince the court by a "preponderance of the evidence" (that it is "more likely than not") that you are owed the money for your work, and you can do that with your and other witnesses' testimony. For $3,000, you are best off suing in small claims court on a "pro se" basis, or as your own attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption