How can I get information to investigate an item on a credit report?

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get information to investigate an item on a credit report?

We were just turned down for a loan because my wife’s credit report has numerous reports of medical bills sent to collections over an 11 month period starting 3 years ago. They were from a time when she did indeed have a serious medical issue and there was a billing problem at roughly that time, but we gave the hospital the corrected information and they said they were all set. We do not remember receiving any bills and the reported items just list a collections company and the term “medical”. How in the world do we find out what this is all about?

Asked on August 16, 2011 California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay so not you have to take affirmative action to deal with the credit report.  Here is what you need to do.  First, get a copy of your credit reports from all three credit reporting agencies.  Next, take a look at the reports and see what they say about what.  If the reporting is inaccurate you have a right to challenge it and you do so by writingto each of the three credit reporting agencies.  They then have 30 days to turn around and contact the party that placed the ding on your report.  If the creditor does not respond within 30 days the item is supposed to be taken off your report.  You should also contact the creditors and ask for validation of the debts shown.  Once they provide that, and if it shows any inaccuracies, let them know to correct them. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption