How can I get house arrest instead of jail?

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get house arrest instead of jail?

I was stopped and received my second OWI (my first one was in 2003). I blew a .09, although the cop didn’t want to arrest me, he still felt obligated to do so. I have received a paper that states that I am to spend 10 days in jail. My girlfriend and I share a car, so I would like house arrest and still be able to work, because she needs the car and has kids. What can I do to make that happen? I go to court next week.

Asked on January 25, 2011 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek help from an attorney in your area as soon as you possibly can.  What d you mean you got a paper in the mail? Did you go to court at all?  I am assuming that the car is yours and your girlfriend needs the car for work.  But you did not mention anything about the car being impounded or anything like that so I do not really understand that part of the question.  Are they requesting you put an interlock device on the car?  Have they suspended your license?  Be prepared for all of this but maybe there are ways to soften the blow like enrolling in a voluntary alcohol abuse program, etc.  You attorney will know what will help.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption