How can I get back my check or money from a check cashing store?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get back my check or money from a check cashing store?

I have received an insurance check of $25,000 payable to my late father’s estate. I thought that I was the beneficiary. So I went to a check cashing store . The store verified my documents. They told me everything looked great and advanced me $5000 in money orders and gave me a receipt to come back next day and pick up the balance. I deposited the checks into the bank. The next day they called back and said they made a mistake and put a stop payment on the money orders but they ddeposited the insurance check and now its cleared but refuse to give me the money. What do I do?

Asked on June 16, 2011 under General Practice, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh boy. I am so sorry for your loss.   Ok, did your Father have a Will?  Who is the personal representative of your Father's estate, either the executor in the Will or the administrator in a proceeding without a Will filed in Probate Court?  That person has the authority to bring suit against the check cashing place to get the money back. You need to file a proceeding in probate court to have someone appointed as the personal representative.  You may want to consider an attorney to help you with all of this.  In the mean time, call the state attorney genera's office and file a complaint with the consumer fraud division against the check cashing place.  Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption