How can I get an on-line publication about me removed?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get an on-line publication about me removed?

An on-line publication site published the details of my marriage and our full home address on their website without our authorization/permission. I contacted the website 3 times and requested this publication to be removed, but they are refusing to respond to me. This is disturbing, especially the home address situation, as this publication is the first thing that comes up when our full names are typed in google. I would like to know my legal rights as I am willing to take legal action if necessary.

Asked on August 26, 2011 Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you probably do not have a right to have this information removed. Assuming that all the information posted is public information--i.e. is available from public records, which may well be the case (e.g., there is no privacy expectation in an address; anyone may publish or republish it)--then someone may post it to the web or otherwise publish it at will. The problem is, there is no right to control publicly available  information, and there never has been; it's merely that the Internet has made it much easier to both find the public information in the first place, and then after finding it, to republish or distribute it broadly. However, the ease of doing so does not change the basis rule that someone may publish public information without liability, and without anyone from having the right to force them to stop.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption