How can I get a ticket that I received not show on my driving record?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a ticket that I received not show on my driving record?

On 8-18 I was driving late at night and got lost. I was going to turn around and bumped into a car behind me. I had no damage and I heard the lady who was driving the other car say she had a scratch which is what she told the policeman. I don’t know how they got there so fast along with an ambulance. I am 66 years old and have been driving since I was 16 with no incidents. I just don’t want anything to show on my record. I was told that if I plead guilty when I go to court on 9-19 that IF there was a judge there I could ask for this and they typically agree an monitor my driving for 30 days to insure nothing more happens but I have never been in this situation and want to make certain. Can you help or direct me.

Asked on September 9, 2016 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you plead guilty, whatever you plead to will show on your driving record: except and only as per the below. It is certainly possible that the offense you plead to (your question does not indicate what you were ticketed for, so we don't know what they might offer as an alternative plea) will not have any points or be otherwise "trivial," but whatever it is will show whenever an insurance company, a court, a police officer, etc. runs your abstract.
The only way a plea will not show is if the court agrees to what may be called a deferred adjudication, in which they do more-or-less as you suggest: that the court will order that if the charge against you will be dismissed if there is no subsequent infraction within a given period of time. Only dismissals, whether they are done on the spot or after a period of safe driving, do not count against you. However, the hazard for you is that you can't guarantee that this will be the outcome before you plead: you plead to a charge, then the judge decides what penalty to impose. The prosecutor can recommend a certain outcome, but can't force the judge to go along with his/her recommendation; the judge is, after all, the judge. Therefore, if you plead, you have to do so accepting of the fact that you may have whatever you plead to on your record, because you cannot force the judge to rule in such a way that it will absolutely not show on your driving record. 
It is possible the prosecutor will dismiss the charges--that he can do without court approval--if you have a clean record, this ticket was minor, there was little or no harm, and you are appropriately contrite. You should ask for this, though it's the prosecutor's decision ultimately whether or not to dismiss (there's no way to make the prosecutor dismiss). If he does, there will be nothing to show on your record. But if the prosecutor does not dismiss, then focus on getting the opportunity to plea to some minor, no points offense. That is a  more certain way to minimize the negative impact to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption