How can I get a misdemeander sealed cause I’m unable to get a job?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a misdemeander sealed cause I’m unable to get a job?

I was convicted of petty larceny 2 years ago; I pled guilty at 19. Since then I graduated from college in computer science, however, I am unable to get a simple help desk job. So how do I begin to get this sealed from employer so they won’t be scared away?

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, Virginia


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Typically, for an adult conviction, you do not get it sealed, you have to get it expunged, or have the "conviction set aside". Not certain if your case was dismissed once you completed any probationary period given by the court, but an exungement is where you go back before the court and ask the court to remove the misdemeanor larceny conviction from your record so that you can honestly state to employers that you have never been convicted of a crime and you will have a clean criminal record. Please check with a local criminal defense attorney in your area because the eligiblity requirements for an expungement vary by state law. For example, in Michigan, you are not eligible for an expungement until 5 years from the date of the conviction. So if you were sentenced in Michigan, you would have to wait another three years to even qualify for an expungement. Speak with a attorney in your area to determine if you are eligible or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption