How can I get a green card since I need to be a permanent resident in order to join the US Army and get scholarships?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a green card since I need to be a permanent resident in order to join the US Army and get scholarships?

I currently have a H4 visa and my father has a H1B visa. I will be graduating in 3 years and I need a fast way to get a green card. My siblings are US citizens. Is there any way they could help me become a US resident?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, your siblings cannot help you quickly, as their petitions on your behalf (if they are 21) would take about 10-12 years.  Your father, who is in H-1B status, could have his employer petition for his permanent resident and, thus, all the children who are in H-4 status and under the age of 21 would get the green card status along with your father.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption