How can I get a distressed home under contact?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a distressed home under contact?

A distressed home is near me.I have tried to contact the owner but no leads.I have a copy of the deed but the trustee listed is missing and can not be found on search engines or anywhere it doesn’t show alive or dead.The grass is kept cut and clean.What can I do to get this property.

Asked on July 22, 2019 under Estate Planning, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't gvet it under contract unless:
1) The current owner (or trustee, if the home is in a trust; or executor or administrator of the estate containing the home, if the owner died and the estate is in probate) can be located and voluntarily agrees to sell to you: you can't force someone to sell.
2) The home is foreclosed upon by a lender for not paying the mortgage, or the city(or county, or school district, as applicable) for not paying property taxes, and you buy the home at the foreclosure sale or auction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption