How can I get a copy of my late father’s Will?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a copy of my late father’s Will?

I am being kept in the dark. I’m the fifth sibling and am being excluded from benefiting from the family Trust. My older sibling is the co-successor trustee along with a younger sibling. Another sibling was also excluded and 2 older siblings are included.

Asked on February 20, 2016 under Estate Planning, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you were named as a beneficiary in your father's Will, or as someone who would inherit if there was no Will (i.e. an heir), you are considered to be an "interested party". Accordingly, you are entitled to see a copy of his Will. If it has already been entered into probate, it is now a matter of public record. This means that you (or anyone else for that matter) is entitled to obtain a copy from the probate court for a minimal charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption