How canI get a copy of my mother-in-laws Will?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI get a copy of my mother-in-laws Will?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Estate Planning, Maine


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Are you listed as a beneficiary? Is your wife? As a matter of law, all people receiving a bequest (gift) under the terms of the Will are notified. At that point you have a right top see a copy. If you are not mentioned in it, then you have no right to see it. That is until it is entered into probate. At that time it becomes a matter of public record and anyone can obtain a copy for a small fee.

Note:  If you mother-in-law is still alive, then without her permission you have no legal status to see a copy of her Will; she would have to give her consent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption