How can I get a copy of my grandmother’s Will?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a copy of my grandmother’s Will?

She told me before she died that I would be getting 1/6 of her estate yet I have heard nothing from anyone. My aunt was named executor. She and I have been estranged for over 20 years so I can’t even contact her to ask about it. Also, she lived in 1 state; I live in another.

Asked on December 29, 2012 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the will has been admitted to probate, you can call the court and get a copy.  If not, call the attorney who drafted it to get a copy.  If the will has not been admitted to probate and you don't know the name of the attorney who drafted it, you will have to call a probate lawyer in your grandmother's state to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption