How can I fix my marriage certificate to show proper myicitozenship?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I fix my marriage certificate to show proper myicitozenship?

I have dual citizenship with the U.S and Mexico. I just recently got married in Mexico and instead of getting married as a U.S citizen I got married as a Mexican. Now my marriage certificate says that my nationality is Mexican. Is this going to cause a problem when I petition for my husband? How Can I fix this problem?

Asked on January 29, 2018 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

NO, it s hould not be an issue.  When you petition for your husband, you will show your marriage certificate to prove that you are legally married but you will show your birth certificate (if that's what establishes your US citizenship) or certificate of  naturalization to prove that you are a US citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption