How can I find out WHERE my Ex re-married?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out WHERE my Ex re-married?

My ex-spouse remarried, but won’t tell me where. I need to prove the marriage to the court to stop alimony.

How can I find out WHERE my ex remarried? state, county etc

Asked on February 12, 2019 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no central registry of marriages--they are kept on a county by county basis. You can, in the course of filing a legal action to stop your alimony, subpoena your ex or use some other method of "discovery" (the mechanisms by which infomation is obtained in a legal action, such as written interrogatories or discovery) to get the information from her. So you need to institute the action to reduce or eliminate alimony, then in the process of doing so, use the dicovery techniques you can find in the Court Rules to get the information. You are advised, however, to retain an attorney and let the lawyer do this for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption