How can I find out what is going on with my daughter since her arrest?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out what is going on with my daughter since her arrest?

My daughter was arrested for a probation violation on a drug charge. She has been
in jail for a week, but has not talked to anyone. She has a Public Defender, but
he has not contacted her yet. She doesn’t know how long she will be in there or
if a court date has been set.

Asked on January 3, 2018 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your daughter is an adult (over 18), you have no right to information: a parent of an adult child is not legally responsible for them, and since you do not have legal authority over her, you cannot demand information. More, the authorities and her attorney (the public defender) can NOT release any information to you: they cannot tell one adult what is going on with another's criminal case. Only your daughter herself can let you know what is going on, if she chooses to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption