How can I find out what is written in my deceased mother’s Will?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out what is written in my deceased mother’s Will?

My mother died this month. My sister has taken over her estate and will not provide the Will for her siblings to see what was written. I am the second oldest child of my mother and I have talked with my sister regarding my mother’s estate. She told she was Power of Attorney and beneficiary of my mother’s entire retirement account. It’s hard for me to believe that my mom would only choose her as the only sole person over her estate.AS an heir, what are my rights to my moms estate? What steps can I take in order for us not to fight over this matter and to make sure everything is fair?

Asked on August 30, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the will has been entered into probate, then you (or any one for that matter) can view it, as it is now a matter of public record. If it has not yet been filed with the court, then then if you are listed in the Will as a beneficiary, you should be notified and given a copy of the Finally, as an "interested party", that is someone would stand to inherit if there was no Will, you have the right to see a copy. At this point, since your sister is not being cooperative, you can contact the county probate court or you can consult directly with a local probate attorney. They can best advise you further. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption