How can I file for divorce if I can’t find my husband?

UPDATED: May 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I file for divorce if I can’t find my husband?

We haven’t been together for 5 years. We live in seperate towns and I do not know where he works or lives and I have no contact with him at all. What steps do I need to do to get a divorce?

Asked on May 25, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


Alan Pransky / Law Office of Alan J Pransky

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can't be denied a divorce because you can't locate your husband.  In Massachusetts, the court will require that you take certain steps to locate him.  You should do an internet search for him.  Search facebook, twitter, and other social networking sites.  If you can't locate him, try to locate someone who should be in contact with him.  His parents, siblings, friends, etc.  If you conact these people and they won't tell you how to contact him, you will need to file a motion for alternate service.  Sometimes the court will order that you serve his relatives.  As a last resort, the court will order that you serve him by publishing in a newspaper.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption