How can I file contempt on my ex-husband for not completing our divorce decree?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I file contempt on my ex-husband for not completing our divorce decree?

I have not received my QDRO or quit-claim deed and we have been divorced for 2 years.

Asked on August 18, 2011 Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

So you know that can move the court to hold him in contempt, and ask for coercive remedies. Your question is "how", correct, in that you are not sure of the proper procedure.  Really, the best way to help yourself is to have an attorney help you.  Although you may know that the law is on your side, pro se litigants often stumble on following correct procedure for preparing, filing and serving court papers.  You can look on line and see if the courts in your are have self-help forms (often counties or cities do have a section on the court websites these days for pro se litigants) and if they do those forms and their instructions should be clear.  In order to collect your money or have him follow the agreement you may also have to file a motion for proceedings supplemental. Such a motion puts the collection of the judgment before the court. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption