How can I evict a highly violent and abusive roommate?

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I evict a highly violent and abusive roommate?

My roommate is extremely violent and abusive. She has become quite the threat for myself and my two other roommates. We have had to call the cops on her for getting too violent and we want her out of the house ASAP. We can all cover her rent and will have no problem filling her room. The only thing is that she is unwilling to move and is on our lease. She purposefully uses all the hot water and will turn every electronic in the house on to mess with our electric bill. She would also crank the heat up to unbearable temperatures all winter. She has been nothing but a financial and social distress on us all and we really need to get her out. She also abuses drugscoke xanex exctasyect and alcohol on a regular basis. What can we do? Can we evict her even if she is unwilling if she poses as a threat to us all?

Asked on March 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Rhode Island


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a roommate agreement with this difficult roommate and if you are not her landlord, there really is nothing you can do yourself to have her vacate the unit you are sharing with her.

One option is for you to consult with your landlord concerning the problems you are having with her and see if the landlord for the unit will intervene with an eviction notice for her. If she is on a 30 day rental, the landlord can do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption