How can I erase something from my criminal history?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I erase something from my criminal history?

When I was working for a retail company, I was fired for check fraud. I was writing personal checks that bounced. How can I get this erased so that I can get a better job without fear of this popping up on my background check?

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Were you arrested for passing bad checks or were you reported to the credit bureaus by the companies that you wrote the checks to for passing bad checks?  If it is the former then what you want to do is have your record "expunged".

Expungement is the removal of records from public inspection. In Maryland, records may be expunged from Motor Vehicle Administration files, police files, and court and police files. The process must be done through the proper agency. No process expunges the records from all agencies. Each agency will have a set of criteria for allowing expungement.  It may require help from an attorney.  Here is a link to start reviewing the process yourself.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption