How can i divorce my husband if he is in the military and we are stationed in Germany?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can i divorce my husband if he is in the military and we are stationed in Germany?

I am a resident of VA; we got married in WA.

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Family Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are a resident of Virginia, find out from the local court there whether you are still considered Virginia residents and if you can file now before the time limitations preclude you...i.e., that you are still considered a Virginia resident. Further, find out if the military stationing requires you to fly back to the States to file. If this is mutual decision, you might be able to file all this through court by mail. You may also wish to discuss this yourself with a divorce attorney since you want to ensure you get access to his retirment benefits and insurance. Talk to your counsel about these issues to ensure you get all you should be getting through the divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption