how can i defer points from being added to my records for a ticket in Ohio

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how can i defer points from being added to my records for a ticket in Ohio

I recently got a speeding ticket in Ohio. I was driving at 78 on 65mph limit. I
am a resident of Indiana. I am OK with the fine imposed but i dont want any
points to be added to my records

what options do i have?

Asked on July 5, 2017 under General Practice, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your only real option would be to appear in court, meet with the prosecutor, and see if he or she will let you plead to an offense with no points; if you otherwise have a clean record, there is a good chance (not a given, but a good chance) that he or she will let you do so, especially if you are willing to accept a larger fine (the zero-point offenses often trade a larger fine for no points). Unfortunately, this must be done in person; you have to decide if the chance to avoid points is worth travelling to another state. You can also look into whether you state recognizes and "defensive driving" classes which enable you to eliminate points from you license (for example, my state--New Jersey--does; you can take a class that will eliminate 2 points).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption