How can I contest a divorce ithat was granted in Puerto Rico from the US?

UPDATED: May 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I contest a divorce ithat was granted in Puerto Rico from the US?

I have emails from the period we separated (between my ex, his lawyer and I) showing he was paying for the items he kept that are on my name (value close to $10K) and that we even decided on the gounds of divorce. Suddenly he stops paying and cuts all communication with me. He even stopped working with the lawyer. He managed to get a divorce without me even knowing about it and now my credit is ruined. He did it by “proving” I was unreachable and by sending the divorce papers to an undeliverable address. There’s got to be a way to make this right.

Asked on May 14, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First, Puerto Rico is part of the United States, it is a United States territory. The best way to contest the divorce that was granted against you under Puerto Rico law is to consult with a Puerto Rican attorney practicing in the area of family law and have him or her pull the file and send you a copy.

After receipt and review, you and the Puerto Rican family law attorney should strategize over how to set aside the dissolution judgment presumably based upon improper service and the filing of such a motion in that territory.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption