How can I collect unpaid wages from my current employer?

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I collect unpaid wages from my current employer?

I work as a co-therapist and case manager for an agency and get paid through commission from billing the insurance company for our service. I have been working a few cases for 7 months and have not been paid for the work I’ve done and the agency doesn’t seen to be trying very hard to collect. in the meantime I’m receiving very small paychecks every two weeks, at risk of being evicted and having my car repossessed. is there anything I can do to get paid for my services as the agency doesn’t seem to be doing anything to help me in my situation?

Asked on August 9, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are not an independent contractor, your employer is required to pay you wages earned per written state guidelines on the subject presumably every two (2) weeks. If you are an independent contactor, you need to be paid per your agreement with the entity or person you work for.

Your options are to consult with a labor attorney about getting paid and/or a representative with your local department of labor on the subject.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption