How can I bring my wife to the United States?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I bring my wife to the United States?

I’m an American citizen born and raised. I’ve been living abroad for 9 years and a year ago I got married to a Brazilian girl. Now I’ve been made a job offer in the U.S. so I wanted to start the process of bringing her back with me. Our biggest problem it seems is with the affidavit of support seeing as we have been earning and saving in Brazilian currency and therefore do not have the financial resources to sponsor her. My family thus far has been unwilling to sign any legal documents expediting the process.

What are my options? I was thinking of taking the job and trying to do

things from the USA, but the job pays under the table so I’m not sure

that will help me prove means of financial support. Please let me know

what my options are.


Asked on July 20, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You will need to file an affidavit of support either on your own or with a joint sponsor.  The joint sponsor does not have to be a family member but can be a friend or other relative who is a US citizen or US green card holder.  If you are not able to get a joint sponsor and you do not have an income or your income is insufficient, you can try to see if you can qualify on the basis of your assets.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption