How can I be charged with child support and not have rights as the father?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I be charged with child support and not have rights as the father?

And why can she move out of state without a courts OK or my OK?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Child Support and Child Custody/Parental Rights are two separate legal issues. Child support is where that State has ordered you to pay a designated amount for the purposes of your child's well being based upon your current income and state guidelines. Child Custody/Parental Rights is where the court, generally family court, has awarded each parent certain legal custody, joint custody, or visitation rights concerning the children in question. For most states, when the parents of a child are not married or divorced, and one of the parents petitions the court to seek child support, the court will set a hearing date for both parents to determine if child support will be awarded, and if so, how much. Custody issues are where the court will address any and all custody issues concerning the children. This is sometimes done at the child support hearing or may be scheduled as a separate hearing. The question I have pertains to your meaning of "rights as a father" in your question. Not certain of the facts of your case, but you will always have parental rights as a father, unless your parental rights have been removed by the Courts. My advice is to contact a family law attorney in your area to discuss your situation in more detail to help you obtain the goals you seek through child custody.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption